Gateway to Europe

Denmark's location makes it a gateway to other Scandinavian countries and the rest of Europe. Berlin is just an hour’s flight away. London and Paris can be reached in less than two hours. And Barcelona, Rome, Vienna and Prague are all just a few hours flight away.

Denmark is located in northern Europe and is part of Scandinavia. Denmark consists of the Jutland peninsula, the larger islands of Zealand, Funen, and Lolland-Falster and 429 other named islands between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea, 72 of which are inhabited.

Nowhere in Denmark is more than 50 km from the sea. And just a few kilometres from Denmark’s major cities of Aarhus and Copenhagen you find idyllic villages and pristine woodlands and lakes.

Time and time again, international surveys celebrate Denmark as the “happiest' country in the world”. This, of course, does not mean that Danes are constantly cheering in the streets. What the surveys show is that the Danes enjoy a very high level of satisfaction with life. They enjoy a balanced work life with a sense of financial security and the freedom and opportunity to pursue personal goals in life.

When you arrive in Denmark you will probably notice the relaxed atmosphere, a lot of people on bikes, and that things generally run smoothly. A blend of stately old buildings and modern sustainable architecture speaks of cities that treasure the old but love experimenting with the new.

You may also find that that living in Denmark is not exactly cheap. However, if you are sensible and follow local habits and are a little economical – such as cycling to university and eating at home – then living costs in Denmark should not blow your budget.


A green lifestyle

A clean environment is important to the Danes. Thirty years of focused energy policy has made Denmark a world leader in renewable energy technology, including wind turbines and energy efficient waste management. Copenhagen is one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the world – with priority bicycle green waves and bicycle-friendly traffic regulation

Student jobs

Some international students find employment in bars or restaurants. Others distribute newspapers, work in telemarketing or get jobs where specific foreign language skills are required. Some students are lucky enough to find employment relevant to their studies.

You should not, however, count on obtaining a part-time job nor plan your finances accordingly. It is not always easy to find a student job in Denmark if you don’t speak Danish. As an international student in Denmark you can take Danish lessons for free, which will improve your chances of finding employment in Denmark.


Where to search for student jobs

Some academic institutions have online job banks or career centres that can assist you in finding a student job. Please enquire at your host institution. In addition, the official Danish website for international recruitment  offers information on how to find a relevant student job, how to write an application, what to do in a job interview, etc. The site also has a job and CV bank.

First cycle (Bachelor's) programs


If you are an undergraduate student (first cycle student) seeking for a study place at university or college in Denmark, you will have to submit your application through the Danish Coordinated Application System (Den Koordinerede Tilmelding, KOT).

Graduate programs (second and third cycle programs)


If you are a graduate student seeking to study in Denmark, you will need to contact directly the institution of your choice and check the admission criteria. 

In Denmark, each institution is responsible for its own admissions. Requirements vary from programme to programme. Here is what you need to know about how and when to apply

Assessment of your qualifications


Non-Danish citizens who do not have a Danish entrance examination are eligible for admission if they have qualifications recognised as being comparable to Danish entrance qualifications.

The assessment briefly states what your qualifications correspond to in Denmark and will improve your application. The assessment serves only as a guideline since the individual institution in Denmark is responsible for its own admissions.

The institution in Denmark will require certified copies of your educational qualifications. That is, you must provide copies with original stamps and signatures, or have two people who are not related to you sign the back of the copy with their name, address and birth date. Some institutions require that they receive the documents directly from the issuing institution. This can often take several months, so be sure to arrange in time.

Further information about entrance qualifications, additional tests and potential credit transfers can be obtained from the institutions' admissions offices.

General admission requirements


English language requirements


All higher education programmes in Denmark require a high standard of English. Applicants to English-taught undergraduate and postgraduate programmes must, as a minimum, prove English proficiency comparable to 'English B' in the Danish upper secondary school (gymnasium). Some programmes require 'English A', which is one level higher than 'English B'.

To prove a satisfactory proficiency in English, the language tests TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge ESOL examinations (CAE) are often used. The score equivalents are determined by the individual institution, so to be certain check out their language requirements. Based upon a rough average of previous reqirements, here is an estimate of the ranges you can expect:

Applicants who are native English speakers are exempted from these test requirements. Also, applicants who can document English proficiency at an equivalent level may contact the institution's International Admission Office to determine if their English level is sufficient.


Requirements for admission into Danish-taught study programmes


If you are able to study in Danish you can find courses and degree programmes taught in Danish. For admission into these programmes you must prove a satisfactory level of proficiency in Danish by taking the test called ‘Danish as a Foreign Language’

Note that as an international student you can take Danish lessons for free. In this way you may enroll first in an English-taught undergraduate programme and then continue your education in Danish at the graduate level once you have achieved the required Danish language skills.

Requirements for undergraduate studies


Admission requirements for Bachelor programmes are:

  • An entrance examination comparable to a Danish upper secondary school leaving certificate
  • Proof of proficiency in English (see above)

Certain study programmes have additional admission requirements. This could include:

  • Subjects passed on a certain level. Danish education use levels A, B and C,  A being the highest.
  • Subjects passed with a certain minimum grade
  • The diploma in total passed with a certain minimum GPA
  • Passed admission test/interview
Requirements for postgraduate studies


Admission requirements for Candidatus/Master programmes are:

  • an internationally recognised Bachelor's degree of good standard or equivalent
  • proof of proficiency in English (see above)
  • proof of proficiency in Danish, if the programme is taught in Danish (se above)


How and when to apply




For undergraduate studies, the admission deadline is 15 March for courses starting in August or September. A few institutions have additional intakes in January or February. For those courses, the deadline is 1 September. The application forms are available from the institutions approximately two months prior to the deadline.




For postgraduate studies, deadlines vary. We recommend that you contact the institution directly for details.





Cambridge Advanced English

* English B - test score of at least 6.5 points

* English B - test scores in the ranges of 550-583 (paper-based), or 213-237 (computer-based test), or 79-93 (internet-based test)

* English B - Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)

English A - test score of at least 7.0 points

English A - test scores in the ranges of 587-610 (paper-based), or 240-253 (computer-based test), or 94-101 (internet-based test)

English A – Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)

Note: * Some programmes require 'English A', which is one level higher than 'English B'.

Denmark is an expensive country – but the standard of living is among the highest in the world. However, if you are sensible and follow local habits and economise – such as cycling to university and eating at home – life in Denmark shouldn’t blow your budget.

You will need to bring enough money or a credit card for the first few weeks of your stay in Denmark. For example, you will need enough cash to pay the rent and deposit on your accommodation – as well as to buy housewares for your new room. Make sure you can use your credit card in Denmark. Check your cash withdrawal limit. If you are already a customer of a large international bank you should soon be able to transfer money directly from your home account to your Danish bank account. You can also transfer money from your Danish account to your home account. Transfer may take a few days and will most probably cost you a fee. For further information, please contact your bank.


"Nemkonto" - the public payment system

You need to register your Danish bank account with the Danish tax authority as a  'Nemkonto' (i.e. an ‘easy account’), which will allow public authorities to make direct payments to you – like wages, tax rebates or maintenance payments. Seek advice from your Danish bank.


Cost of living

In terms of living expenses then these will depend on your lifestyle and habits. But to give you an idea of average monthly expenses here is a rough budget:




- varies from 2,500 - 4,000 DKK (utilities are usually included)


- approximately 200 DKK

TV licence

- 100 DKK

Books and supplies

- 150 DKK

Mobile phone

- 150 DKK (internet, around 250 DKK, may be included in your rent)


- 1,500-2,000 DKK


- 300 DKK

Other personal expenses


- 1,000 DKK

Price examples

  • Purchase of second-hand bicycle: 250 – 1,000 DKK
  • Cinema ticket: 80 DKK
  • Dining out: 200 DKK
  • Nightclub entrance: 0 – 100 DKK
  • Beer or a soft drink at a bar/café: 30 – 50 DKK
  • Beer or a soft drink from the supermarket: 5 – 15 DKK
  • Coffee at a café: 25 – 40 DKK


The Danish currency


The Danish currency is called kroner (DKK)

  • 1 krone is divided into 100 øre
  • 1 euro is approximately 7.5 kroner
  • 1 US dollar is approximately 6 kroner
  • 1 UK pound sterling is approximately 9.5 kroner

A visa is issued for the purpose of a short stay of less than 3 months in Denmark and other Schengen countries.

See which natoinals need a visa to enter Denmark


Foreign nationals who are required a visa to enter Denmark and who intend to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months must apply for a residence permit prior to arriving in Denmark. Please note that if you apply for a residence permit and visa at the same time, your visa application will be turned down.

If you have been granted certain types of residence or re-entry permits in another Schengen country, you do not need a visa to enter Denmark. Read more about residence permits issued by another Schegen country. These  types of residence permits are not valid for entry into the Faroe Islands or Greenland.


Where to file your application


You may apply for a visa at any authorised Danish mission in a country where you are staying legally on a permanent or temporary basis. This includes all Danish Embassies and certain consulates abroad. Furthermore, visas may be issued by the  The Trade Council of Denmark, Taipei in Taiwan.

Certain honorary consulates may receive visa applications and forward them to the supervising Danish Embassy. In such caenmarkses, if a visa is granted, you must contact the Embassy in person at a later order to have your visa issued. If it is more convenient for you, it may also be arranged that the authorisation to issue a.

For certain countries, Denmark has entered into an agreement with another Schengen country about the handling of visa applications on behalf of Denmark. See which other Schegen countries handle visa applications on behalf of Denmark. As a rule these agreements only cover applications for short stay visas.

Nordic, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens can work in Denmark under the EU rules regarding the free movement of people and services, with no restriction on the number of hours.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens may work in Denmark for up to 15 hours a week and full-time during June, July and August. However, this requires a work permit sticker in your passport. If you did not apply for a work permit when applying for a residence permit to study in Denmark, you can apply for one at the Danish Immigration Service.


 How to apply for a student residence permit?

If you are under 18 years of age, you are only eligible for a work permit if you have a written offer or contract for a specific position. The employer must also confirm to the Danish Immigration Service that he or she upholds workplace environment legislation.

Please note: If you work illegally in Denmark – for example by working more than 15 hours a week as a non-EU/EEA student – the Danish Immigration Service will either revoke your residence permit or refuse to extend it. You risk deportation. Also, both you and your employer could face a prison sentence or be fined.

With an extensive public service, income tax rates in Denmark are among the highest in the world. However, the tax system is progressive – the more you earn, the higher taxes you pay.

Here is what you need to know if you would like to work in Denmark after you graduate

Denmark offers a wide variety of possibilities for working after graduation. Whether you are strictly focused on advancing your career or want to find the right balance between work and life the Danish jobmarket will have opportunities for you. Which field do you want to pursue a career in?

Here’s how different nationalities can go about their Danish post-graduation job-hunt:

  • Nordiccitizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. Neither visas nor residence or work permits are required.
  • EU/EEA/Swiss citizensdo not need to apply for a work permit. You may stay in Denmark under the EU rules regarding the free movement of people and services. But if you want to stay for longer than three months, you must apply for a registration certificate under EU rules. The application must be submitted within three months of entering Denmark. Please note: the special interim arrangement concerning employees from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia ended on 1 May 2009.
  • Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizenswill need a residence permit to work in Denmark. Upon graduation from a Danish higher education institution, your residence permit will remain valid for an additional six months, allowing you to seek employment in Denmark. Provided your visa hasn’t already been extended for an extra six months you can apply for such an extension to your permit. For further information on how to extend your residence permit . Starting up your own business in Denmark

As an international graduate from a Danish higher education institution you may of course also want to explore the opportunity of starting up your own business.


Looking For Scholarship?

Get all information about International Scholarships options available for undergraduate and masters programmes.

Apply For Best Scholarship
  • Country Interested
    • Education Interest